Monday, July 28, 2008

Right on Track

My training program has picked up the past couple weeks. My long runs are getting longer and my total mileage each week is increasing. I am both excited by this and a bit apprehensive since this type of training is completely foreign to me.

Recap of this past week:

Monday - 4 mile run
Tuesday - 7 mile run
Wednesday - 4 mile run
Thursday - rest
Friday - 7 mile run
Saturday - 15 mile run
Sunday - rest

My Saturday run was made more interesting because our family decided to go camping on Friday night. We didn't get back into town until after 6 pm and the temperature was still above 100 degrees. After unloading gear and getting things settled at home, I headed to the gym to try and log as many miles on the treadmill as I could before they closed at 9 pm. I was able to complete 12 miles and then I headed home where I grabbed my GPS and completed the last 3 miles on the road.

I am a bit concerned about a slight injury I suffered this week when I was working out with my son Jordan on Tuesday evening. We were running suicides or ladders at the local junior high school and I strained a ligament behind my right knee. So far it hasn't been too much of a hinderance but I do feel it from time to time on my runs, primarily during the first half-mile. I'm hoping that it will heal while still allowing me to continue my training runs. This getting old thing is for the birds!! I get injuries that I've never experience before and they seem to take forever to heal. C'est la vie!

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Jerel, I am proud of you, but don't you think you should go to a physical therapist or doctor to make sure you are not injuring yourself running while you have an injury. I know I am sounding like a mom, but I am,so the shoe fits.

MegiJones said...

Don't forget to add the Spudman to your list for 2009!! Cya in Burley!! :)

Rinez said...

Good work, Jerel! True commitment! We're proud as punch!