Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Why Dad??!!

Last night, my son Tanner asked if he could go running with me in the mornings. I told him that it probably wasn't a good idea because I run a lot of miles each day and it might be too much for him right now. Tanner then asked why I was running so much. I said, "Don't you remember? I'm training to run in the St. George Marathon in October. It's a race that's 26.2 miles long and so I have to practise running longer and longer distances." Trevor, my six year old, then asked, "WHY Dad???!!!" (Imagine him using a total "What are you. . . crazy or something?" voice.) Very funny!!

I tried to explain the history of the marathon race thinking that might help explain why someone would train to run a race of this distance. After I concluded my story, one of the kids asked, "So WHY are you running in this race? The race that some guy died in?" I have to admit, there have been moments that I have asked the exact same question!

No comments: