Tuesday, February 10, 2009

2/10/09 - 14 miles

When I first saw this distance on my schedule, I was a bit disheartened. My last training schedule had shorter weekday runs (which I usually enjoy) and long Saturday runs (which I kind of dread). However, this program includes all kinds of changes which actually keep it interesting and hopefully will produce the results I am looking for come race day. It has been cold and rainy the past couple days and the temperature has been much cooler. Although I enjoy running outside more, I am very fortunate to have an indoor place to run and continue my training. And one good thing about the treadmill is that I can watch sports or a movie which helps to pass the time more quickly. Last night, I watched the Duggar family and the wedding of their oldest son. I have only watch this show a few times but I am very much impressed with the values and moral principles displayed and voiced by this family.

I ran the first 5 miles at a 9:03 pace, then increased my pace to 8:34 for the next several miles. Then I would occasionally increase my speed from time to time and increase or decrease the incline as well. This kept the run interesting and forces my body to adjust to changes. I ran the 14 miles in 2:02:11 which is an 8:43 pace. I drank Gatorade every 3-5 miles during the run and felt great afterwards. I had to put off this run until 9 pm due to both Chase and Jordan having church basketball games so I didn't finish until 11 pm.

No comments: