Monday, February 2, 2009

2/02/09 - 6 miles

I find it interesting how my perspective has changed over the past year. As I was leaving the house for the gym, I mentioned to my wife that I would not be gone long since I only had 6 miles to run tonight. I wish I could remember better what I thought of 6 miles when I first started running long distances but I'm pretty certain I wouldn't have thought it was a quick workout.

So anyhow, I ran my 6 miles at the gym because my schedule called for 6x100 meter strides as well. So I eased into the run over the first 3 miles gradually increasing my speed but doing a 100 meter stride every mile at a 6:40 pace. I ran the final 3 miles at a 8:00 pace and kept the strides at the same pace. I finished the 6 miles in 47:57 which is a 7:59 pace. My legs felt a little heavy tonight which I'm sure is from the race on Saturday. I also had a little trouble with my breathing during the run - it took a couple miles before I really felt settled into my pace. This was probably my body reacting to all the Super Bowl junk food we ate yesterday (it was not pretty but it did taste fabulous!)

1 comment:

Rinez said...

Jerel, I keep forgetting to check this blog! You're so faithful and I love watching your commitment and your perspective. Good job! I'm going to remember to read this! love you!