Saturday, January 10, 2009

1/10/09 - 15 miles

I enjoyed my run this morning despite the fact that it was on a treadmill. In fact, this was the longest treadmill run I have ever completed. I drank Gatorade during my run, drinking 8 ounces at 4, 8, and 12 miles. I paced the first 5 miles at 9:13 and then progressively increased my pace until I was pacing 8:27 the final 2 miles. I completed the 15 miles in 2:12:42 which is an 8:50 pace. Unfortunately, the heartrate monitor on my treadmill did not work so I don't have an accurate read of my heartrate but I felt very comfortable throughout the run and didn't have any problems with my legs or my breathing.

The only thing I need to figure out is my ipod. I wear a shuffle around my bicep but on long runs, the strap begins to rub on the side of my chest. I had the same problem when I trained for my last marathon and I just stopped wearing the ipod during my long runs. I think I might try getting rid of the strap and just clipping the shuffle on my waistband.

Total mileage for the week: 42 miles

4 comments:

Cherilee said...

Hey Jerel, I get to start my marathon training today. I am going to try the Hal Higdon Intermediate II because it falls in line with some of the races I am going to do. I just had a question? I was curious as to why you drank 8 oz of gatorade at like 4 , etc miles. Does this work better for you than taking a sip or two every couple of miles. When I trained for my last marathon I stopped at 6, 12, 18 etc. miles and took like 6 sips (1for every mile I ran) only because that is where I placed the gatorade on the route. Do you find it works better than taking a drink every couple of miles like they have placed in a marathon, or is it just something you do?

Anonymous said...

I don't like drinking too often during a run because I get a bit nauseous for the next quarter mile or so. In addition, if I drink too often, I feel a bit water-logged. When I am outside on a training run, I carry 16 oz of fluids with me and place other fluids around my run to refill my container. I usually drink every 3 or 4 miles which seems to be about when I need it.

During the marathon, I usually drink something at every station although not as much (just a couple swallows). I also dilute any Gatorade during a race by taking a cup of water and a cup of Gatorade at an aid station and mixing them together. I probably drink a little more than usual during a race because I don't carry any fluids with me and I don't want to get caught between aid stations.

Anonymous said...

fyi - I did Hal Higdon's Intermediate I last time I trained. This time, I am using Pete Pfitzinger 55 mi 18 week training schedule. It adds a little more speedwork and tempo runs which I hope will allow me to lower my time. Which marathon are you training for?

Cherilee said...

Jerel, I appreciate your insight. I am training for the Ogden Marathon in May. In addition, I also signed up for the Winters Racing Circut. Last year when I ran the Hill Airforce Base 10K which was basically three miles down hill then turn around and run 3 miles up hill, I realized it was the hardest 10 I ever ran. I made some friends there who encouraged me to run the Winters Racing Circut because it involved hills. I really want to learn how to run in all types of conditions. Basically face my fears.