Saturday, January 17, 2009

1/17/09 - 17 miles

I can't believe my plan calls for a 17 mile run in only my 5th week of training! However, everything I've read about distance running says that you need to increase your mileage if you want to get better so I'm glad for a program that pushes me. I had planned to run outside again today but Trevor had an early morning basketball game so I wasn't able to get out early and place water and I hadn't planned a route so I decided to run at the gym again. I had a good run and felt strong throughout. When I was finished, I felt like I had lots left which is encouraging for this early in my training.

I ran the first 5 miles at a 9:13 pace and the last 12 miles at an 8:34 pace - my totals for the 17 miles were 2:28:58 which is an 8:45 pace. I drank Gatorade at 4, 8, 12, and 15 miles. I also took 2 Clif Shot Bloks at the start of my run and then 2 more about 90 minutes into my run. I had some slight discomfort in my right knee for a while but it seemed to work itself out.

Total for the week: 46 miles

No comments: