Saturday, January 31, 2009

1/31/09 - London's Run Half Marathon

My schedule called for an 18 mile run today but I choose instead to participate in the half marathon at London's Run. Last year, I ran the 10k at this venue but I wanted to see how my training was going so I opted for the longer distance this year. We couldn't have asked for better weather this year (I remember it being somewhat cold last year and I ran with a thermal top the whole race). The temperature was in the low to mid 40's at race time. My hands were a little cold and wondered if I would regret not wearing gloves. However, the sun quickly warmed things up and I was great after a mile or two. Jordan and Tanner came to the race to support me and I was glad for the company. We stopped at a Quiktrip and I ate a couple Nutri-Grain bars and had some Gatorade to wash everything down. After getting my race bib, we returned to the car to warm up and to relax before things started. About 20 minutes before race time, I headed to the porta-johns for a last stop before beginning the race. I got to the start with only a couple minutes to spare which was actually about right so I didn't have to stand around being cold.

I decided to hold back the first couple miles and let the field spread out. I had also just read an article about how many of us non-elite runners get into our race pace much too quickly. So I ran the first 3 miles at just over an 8 minute pace. Then I started to push my pace and pick off runners as I went. After the first mile, I only had one runner pass me the rest of the race. I lost count of the runners I was able to pass especially when we started to encounter the 10k runners who were still on the course. I ate a couple Shot Bloks at about 5.5 miles where there was a water station. The course looped back around to the same aid station so I got another drink of water at about 6.5 miles. I was feeling pretty good at this point so I continued to pass runners and to keep my pace around 7:30-40. This continued until around mile 10 when I started to feel a bit tired. It was also about this time when I started to see signs that had been posted by the race organizers. They had pictures of different cancer patients with words of encouragement like "You can do it" or "Keep going". My thoughts went to my sister Shannon for whom I am running the SLC marathon. My mental state immediately improved and my physical state followed quickly afterwards. I picked up the pace and finished out the race strong. I completed the course in 1:43:32 which is a pr for me by almost 10 minutes!

Shad and Jodi (and family) live close by to this race and they came out to see me finish. I didn't see them until after the race but they were cheering for me as I rounded the final corner of the course to the finish line. Jordan and Tanner were right next to the finish line and it was fun to see them cheering me on as well. I saw several other people that I knew from church or other activities (including Camille's Bunko group). It was good to talk with them and share "war" stories from training sessions and the race itself. I ate a banana and a bagel along with some Powerade and Gatorade immediately afterwards and felt really good. My quads felt a little sore the next day but it was a good sore.

I'm pleased with my progress thus far in my training. I have completed 7 weeks of my training and have seen good improvements. In looking ahead, I have some tough training on the schedule including next week which calls for my first 20 miler and 54 miles for the week. I have never run this many miles in a week before so I'm apprehensive but also committed to getting it done. I have faith in the program - that I will become a better and faster runner by following this schedule.

Total mileage for the week: 45 miles

1 comment:

Cherilee said...

Congrats on your pr!